Watie (pronounced “Waddy”) White is a thriving American artist living in Omaha, Nebraska. whose works appear internationally in museum exhibitions and galleries as easily as the sides of building in public spaces. Watie creates public art and public-works related art and delivers business-oriented workshops for artists. In this episode of The Thriving Artist podcast, Watie reveals the inside realities of treating your art as a business rather than a martyrdom. Among the insights are:
- Who among artists gets business training
- The advantages of smaller markets, and the importance of creating an artist community around you
- Creation vs. distribution, and how being an artist does not mean being a monk
- Self-reliance and the artist’s identity
- Stepping into the unknown with your career
- The allure of public art, and the ‘lurid truths’ of pulp
- Crossing boundaries, and interior vs. public expression
- Watie’s initial marketing strategy and take on professional success
- The myth of doing things differently and the significance of a watershed moment
Watie is a natural storyteller, and this meaty, 48-minute episode, delivers substantive taste of business-focused commentary without setting foot in a classroom. Listen, now, or download the mp3 and take it with you on your phone or device.
If you’re a working artist, feel free to visit our Grants page. If you’re an arts industry professional, collector, or business specialist, or a working artist who would like to be interviewed, visit our Teach and Learn page. As always, even a modest donation is meaningful; and that page is here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Getting to Emerging Artist Status and Beyond—Bonnie Clearwater - January 11, 2019
- We’ve Built a Learning Community for Artist-Entrepreneurs - December 15, 2018
- CHF Announces 16 Artist Fellows 2019 Art-Business Accelerator - December 12, 2018
- Leverage Your Non-Art Expertise for a Career Blueprint—Kristin LeVier - December 4, 2018
- Break Down Your Business Goals into Actionable Steps - December 3, 2018
- The Thriving Artist™ Podcast is a Portable Business Education - November 24, 2018
- The CHF “Road Show”: Coming to a City Near You - November 15, 2018
- CHF Announces Art-Business Conference in the Washington DC Metro Area - November 13, 2018
- Getting Art Into Hotels and Corporate Spaces—Rachel Berg - November 7, 2018
- CHF Announces Its Art-Business Conference in Fort Lauderdale - October 26, 2018