Watie (pronounced “Waddy”) White is a thriving American artist living in Omaha, Nebraska. whose works appear internationally in museum exhibitions and galleries as easily as the sides of building in public spaces. Watie creates public art and public-works related art and delivers business-oriented workshops for artists. In this episode of The Thriving Artist podcast, Watie reveals the inside realities of treating your art as a business rather than a martyrdom. Among the insights are:
- Who among artists gets business training
- The advantages of smaller markets, and the importance of creating an artist community around you
- Creation vs. distribution, and how being an artist does not mean being a monk
- Self-reliance and the artist’s identity
- Stepping into the unknown with your career
- The allure of public art, and the ‘lurid truths’ of pulp
- Crossing boundaries, and interior vs. public expression
- Watie’s initial marketing strategy and take on professional success
- The myth of doing things differently and the significance of a watershed moment
Watie is a natural storyteller, and this meaty, 48-minute episode, delivers substantive taste of business-focused commentary without setting foot in a classroom. Listen, now, or download the mp3 and take it with you on your phone or device.
If you’re a working artist, feel free to visit our Grants page. If you’re an arts industry professional, collector, or business specialist, or a working artist who would like to be interviewed, visit our Teach and Learn page. As always, even a modest donation is meaningful; and that page is here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Office Hours for Artist Entrepreneurs - September 18, 2018
- eBay and The Ingredients of a Successful Artrepreneur - September 13, 2018
- Generate Powerful Publicity: A Sistine Chapel Mindset – Todd Scalise - August 16, 2018
- How Your Brand Story Translates to Sales - August 13, 2018
- Business Accelerator Application Announced - August 9, 2018
- Dallas-Fort Worth Art Business Summit Announced - June 19, 2018
- “Mightier Marketing for Visual Artists” Presentation at Artexpo New York - April 14, 2018
- “Artist as Entrepreneur: Becoming the CEO of Your Life” Panel at stARTup Art Fair - January 12, 2018
- Second Annual Art Business Summit Announced - December 14, 2017
- Year Two of Business-Development Forum for Professional Visual Artists - November 28, 2017