Carolyn Edlund is Executive Director of the Arts Business Institute, a non-profit that offers creative business solutions to artists and craftspeople. She is also the Founder of Artsy Shark, a forum that targets artists AS small business owners with marketing and sales tips. Carolyn flips a lot of the concerns artists may have about growing their careers as a business into positive opportunities for full artistic expression. Her emphasis on the lifestyle of the artist as one of glamour and freedom is insightful and balanced by the call for creating a skill set to further one’s deepest professional aspirations.
- The fine arts vs. arts & crafts barrier
- Art for its own sake vs. art as a business
- How artists build a business without sacrificing their craft
- How “repeat business builds business”
- The catch-22 of selling out for money or not being good enough for it
- The artists’ enviable lifestyle of glamour & freedom
- Referring to all customers as collectors
- Branding: How artists create their brand
- Marketing: How it has changed – keeping up with the times
- Essential marketing tools & skills for artists
- Scalability: managing audience growth
- The opportunity of technology for fine art and business scale: 3D Printing, Laser Cutters, etc
Listen now, or download and take this 40min episode with you on your phone or mobile device.
If you find this content valuable and want to foster even more material like this, even a modest donation is meaningful: click here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Getting to Emerging Artist Status and Beyond—Bonnie Clearwater - January 11, 2019
- We’ve Built a Learning Community for Artist-Entrepreneurs - December 15, 2018
- CHF Announces 16 Artist Fellows 2019 Art-Business Accelerator - December 12, 2018
- Leverage Your Non-Art Expertise for a Career Blueprint—Kristin LeVier - December 4, 2018
- Break Down Your Business Goals into Actionable Steps - December 3, 2018
- The Thriving Artist™ Podcast is a Portable Business Education - November 24, 2018
- The CHF “Road Show”: Coming to a City Near You - November 15, 2018
- CHF Announces Art-Business Conference in the Washington DC Metro Area - November 13, 2018
- Getting Art Into Hotels and Corporate Spaces—Rachel Berg - November 7, 2018
- CHF Announces Its Art-Business Conference in Fort Lauderdale - October 26, 2018