Carolyn Edlund is Executive Director of the Arts Business Institute, a non-profit that offers creative business solutions to artists and craftspeople. She is also the Founder of Artsy Shark, a forum that targets artists AS small business owners with marketing and sales tips. Carolyn flips a lot of the concerns artists may have about growing their careers as a business into positive opportunities for full artistic expression. Her emphasis on the lifestyle of the artist as one of glamour and freedom is insightful and balanced by the call for creating a skill set to further one’s deepest professional aspirations.
- The fine arts vs. arts & crafts barrier
- Art for its own sake vs. art as a business
- How artists build a business without sacrificing their craft
- How “repeat business builds business”
- The catch-22 of selling out for money or not being good enough for it
- The artists’ enviable lifestyle of glamour & freedom
- Referring to all customers as collectors
- Branding: How artists create their brand
- Marketing: How it has changed – keeping up with the times
- Essential marketing tools & skills for artists
- Scalability: managing audience growth
- The opportunity of technology for fine art and business scale: 3D Printing, Laser Cutters, etc
Listen now, or download and take this 40min episode with you on your phone or mobile device.
If you find this content valuable and want to foster even more material like this, even a modest donation is meaningful: click here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Data Science in the Arts: Report on the Working Artist—Lily Dulberg - November 20, 2019
- Getting Your Art-Business Project to Market—The Viability Shark Tank - November 13, 2019
- CHF Discovers Secret Sauce for Visual Artists’ Entrepreneurial Success - October 16, 2019
- CHF Panel Presents “Artist as Entrepreneur: Becoming the CEO of your life” - October 10, 2019
- CHF Adds Two New Advisory Board Members - October 4, 2019
- Infiltrate the Business World in the Name of Art—Noah Scalin - August 16, 2019
- Transparency is Transforming the Art Market—CHF Interviews Bill Fine - August 13, 2019
- CHF Announces Virginia Art-Business Conference - July 10, 2019
- CHF Announces Its 3rd Annual Art-Business Conference in Santa Fe - June 27, 2019
- CHF Presents A Thriving Art Exchange Virtual Town Hall - March 21, 2019