Meredith Bergmann is an American Sculptor who both creates public monuments & sculpts on a private scale. She lives in NYC, and has created the Boston Women’s Memorial (2003), is currently working on the FDR Hope Memorial for Roosevelt Island, and has also created the 9/11 Memorial at Cathedral of St John the Divine. In this episode of the Thriving Artist Podcast, Meredith helps us understand what goes into managing large scale art projects. Topics include:
- The trials and tribulations of doing commissions, especially large public art ones
- Managing project scope, objectives, and expectations
- Dependency on 3rd parties (e.g. foundries)
- Contracts and payment by project milestones (not time)
- The financial side – getting paid in chunks without knowing how long each check is supposed to last
- Why do your best work even when the money isn’t there?
- “The biggest skill is not to panic.”
- Special issues sculptors face vs. other visual artist.
- Not being limited by genre biases
- The influence of motherhood
- Marketing strategy – then and now
Meredith Bergmann is an insightful guest, and anyone doing large, commissioned projects can’t afford to miss this 30-minute episode. Listen now, or download and take it with you on your phone or mobile device. Meredith Bergmann may be reached at meredithbergmann.com
If you’re a working artist, feel free to visit our Grants page. If you’re an arts industry professional, collector, or business specialist, or a working artist who would like to be interviewed, visit our Teach and Learn page. As always, even a modest donation is meaningful; and that page is here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Sales Conversations: Don’t Fix Everything - May 16, 2019
- How to Sell More Art? An Unexpected Answer - May 12, 2019
- If You Build It, They Will Ignore It. Unless… - May 9, 2019
- What Literary Artists Can Learn from Visual Artists - April 25, 2019
- Professionals Need Not Apply—Originals Only - April 8, 2019
- CHF Panel Presents “Artists Taking Charge of Their Business” - March 21, 2019
- What Not To Do When Outsourcing Your Business - March 12, 2019
- Being My Own CEO: How I Modified My Mentality, Conversations, and Culture - March 19, 2019
- Tighten Your Sales Strategy, Then Refuse to Compromise—Donna Lee Nyzio - March 12, 2019
- The Truth and BS About Outsourcing Large Chunks of Your Business - February 23, 2019