Meredith Bergmann is an American Sculptor who both creates public monuments & sculpts on a private scale. She lives in NYC, and has created the Boston Women’s Memorial (2003), is currently working on the FDR Hope Memorial for Roosevelt Island, and has also created the 9/11 Memorial at Cathedral of St John the Divine. In this episode of the Thriving Artist Podcast, Meredith helps us understand what goes into managing large scale art projects. Topics include:
- The trials and tribulations of doing commissions, especially large public art ones
- Managing project scope, objectives, and expectations
- Dependency on 3rd parties (e.g. foundries)
- Contracts and payment by project milestones (not time)
- The financial side – getting paid in chunks without knowing how long each check is supposed to last
- Why do your best work even when the money isn’t there?
- “The biggest skill is not to panic.”
- Special issues sculptors face vs. other visual artist.
- Not being limited by genre biases
- The influence of motherhood
- Marketing strategy – then and now
Meredith Bergmann is an insightful guest, and anyone doing large, commissioned projects can’t afford to miss this 30-minute episode. Listen now, or download and take it with you on your phone or mobile device. Meredith Bergmann may be reached at meredithbergmann.com
If you’re a working artist, feel free to visit our Grants page. If you’re an arts industry professional, collector, or business specialist, or a working artist who would like to be interviewed, visit our Teach and Learn page. As always, even a modest donation is meaningful; and that page is here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Office Hours for Artist Entrepreneurs - September 18, 2018
- eBay and The Ingredients of a Successful Artrepreneur - September 13, 2018
- Generate Powerful Publicity: A Sistine Chapel Mindset – Todd Scalise - August 16, 2018
- How Your Brand Story Translates to Sales - August 13, 2018
- Business Accelerator Application Announced - August 9, 2018
- Dallas-Fort Worth Art Business Summit Announced - June 19, 2018
- “Mightier Marketing for Visual Artists” Presentation at Artexpo New York - April 14, 2018
- “Artist as Entrepreneur: Becoming the CEO of Your Life” Panel at stARTup Art Fair - January 12, 2018
- Second Annual Art Business Summit Announced - December 14, 2017
- Year Two of Business-Development Forum for Professional Visual Artists - November 28, 2017