COLLECTORS, ARTISTS, and GALLERIES need to think about the future of their works and collections. In this insightful podcast, Kristin Gary, a private dealer who specializes in appraisal, bankruptcy, and related divestiture issues, encourages us to think ahead. Kristin manages Kristin Gary Fine Art, a private gallery that includes European Old Masters, 19th century European, American 20th Century and select Contemporary works. Topics include:
- Challenges of breaking up significant collections
- Owning art as temporary. Planning in advance for some kind of divestiture
- Art fairs and the auction world vs. the gallery world
- The importance of dealers banding together to create events
- Thinking ahead as an artist
- Thinking ahead as a collector
- Protecting yourself and your art pieces when entrusting them to a gallery (e.g. the risk of foreclosure)
- The importance of filing UCC
- The importance of a formal tracking system
- Balancing commercial viability with choosing pieces you like
- Is genre bias a problem?
- Essential business skills artists must acquire
Waiting until the future to think about the future is a mistake. Don’t miss this 24-minute podcast. Listen now, or download and take it with you on your phone or mobile device.
Kristin Gary’s site is at kristingaryfineart.com.
If you find this content valuable and want to foster even more material like this, a modest donation would be very meaningful: click here.