COLLECTORS, ARTISTS, and GALLERIES need to think about the future of their works and collections. In this insightful podcast, Kristin Gary, a private dealer who specializes in appraisal, bankruptcy, and related divestiture issues, encourages us to think ahead. Kristin manages Kristin Gary Fine Art, a private gallery that includes European Old Masters, 19th century European, American 20th Century and select Contemporary works. Topics include:
- Challenges of breaking up significant collections
- Owning art as temporary. Planning in advance for some kind of divestiture
- Art fairs and the auction world vs. the gallery world
- The importance of dealers banding together to create events
- Thinking ahead as an artist
- Thinking ahead as a collector
- Protecting yourself and your art pieces when entrusting them to a gallery (e.g. the risk of foreclosure)
- The importance of filing UCC
- The importance of a formal tracking system
- Balancing commercial viability with choosing pieces you like
- Is genre bias a problem?
- Essential business skills artists must acquire
Waiting until the future to think about the future is a mistake. Don’t miss this 24-minute podcast. Listen now, or download and take it with you on your phone or mobile device.
Kristin Gary’s site is at kristingaryfineart.com.
If you find this content valuable and want to foster even more material like this, a modest donation would be very meaningful: click here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- These Artists Graduated Training But are Entrepreneurs for Life - February 18, 2020
- Instagram the Artists’ Way—A Measured Approach that’s Actually Fun - December 19, 2019
- Data Science in the Arts: Report on the Working Artist—Lily Dulberg - November 20, 2019
- Getting Your Art-Business Project to Market—The Viability Shark Tank - November 13, 2019
- CHF Discovers Secret Sauce for Visual Artists’ Entrepreneurial Success - October 16, 2019
- CHF Panel Presents “Artist as Entrepreneur: Becoming the CEO of your life” - October 10, 2019
- CHF Adds Two New Advisory Board Members - October 4, 2019
- Infiltrate the Business World in the Name of Art—Noah Scalin - August 16, 2019
- Transparency is Transforming the Art Market—CHF Interviews Bill Fine - August 13, 2019
- CHF Announces Virginia Art-Business Conference - July 10, 2019