“When people sheared sheep 100 years ago, it wasn’t just work, it was their life; work wasn’t a separate thing.’ Art and business are like that. Laura Petrovich-Cheney is a sculptor whose work mirrors the human experience, full of transformation, second chances, reinvention, and resilience. She is also a Clark Hulings Fund 2015 Business Accelerator Grant Recipient for her current solo exhibition at Salisbury University Art Galleries, “Piece by Piece”. Her comments on building a self-sustaining art career are profoundly on point.
- Increased sales by adapting art format to the market
- Artist security through multiple income sources around the art
- The preeminence of the toolset for managing an art business
- The pivotal moment when funding makes the difference
- The vision of Clark Hulings for working artists
- Planning an art career backwards
- Hoofing it – marketing prior to a show
- Marketing as sharing your story
- “There’s no separation between work and life anymore.”
- Creating an “authentic conversation” with collectors and an audience
- #abstractartist #americanrealism
- Good old fashioned business networking
- Not flinching from rejection
For more info on Laura and her work, visit lauracheney.com. Laura’s exhibition runs from Jan 15 thru Feb 25 at SU art galleries in Salsibury MD. If you’re on the eastern seaboard or have a friend or relative in MD, have them stop by the exhibition. The show runs from noon to 5pm each day and information is on the clark hulings fund website.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Infiltrate the Business World in the Name of Art—Noah Scalin - August 16, 2019
- Transparency is Transforming the Art Market—CHF Interviews Bill Fine - August 13, 2019
- CHF Announces Virginia Art-Business Conference - July 10, 2019
- CHF Announces Its 3rd Annual Art-Business Conference in Santa Fe - June 27, 2019
- CHF Presents A Thriving Art Exchange Virtual Town Hall - March 21, 2019
- Artists Are Solving Atomic-Level Problems—Cyndi Conn - July 11, 2019
- Classical Skills for Modern Art Careers: The Case for Training and Tradition—Mandy Theis - June 14, 2019
- What the Heck Happens at These Things? - June 10, 2019
- Fearlessly Take On The Big Daddy Ugly Goal—Willy Bo Richardson - May 29, 2019
- Sales Conversations: Don’t Fix Everything - May 16, 2019