As an artist who follows the inspiration as it strikes, Etsuko Ichikawa works in a variety of media from performance, sound, and film to glass installations, sculpture, and drawing. She’s known for her pyrographs and aquagraphs, or drawings made from fire and water. She’s also a 2015 Clark Hulings Fund Business Accelerator Grant Finalist.
We had a chance to sit down with Etsuko and talk about her next career move as she rebrands herself and her artwork. Her nearly hour-long interview offers an insightful look into public art commissions, the importance of vetting galleries before you work with them, and how to tackle brand management even as your career evolves.
Re-Branding Your Art and Business:
- Following the inspiration vs. following the money
- How to maintain the momentum of your career without losing your soul
- Marketing and sales as key components of your business plan
- Controlling and budgeting for your artwork
- Breaking into new mediums as alternative sources of revenue
- Creating sustainable financial systems out of your art career
- Changing the direction of your work can result in more value being placed on your ‘limited edition’ products
Project Management in Public Works Commissions:
- Know the mission behind your commission
- Collaboration with organizations, architects, and engineers
- Use public works as an opportunity to reach beyond the gallery and meet new audiences
- Public works and grants as alternative sources of income
- Incorporate a performance element in your artwork
- Don’t be afraid to include your audience in your process
- Attend events as shameless promotion of your work
- Network amongst local galleries, get your face out there
- Creating & maintaining relationships with galleries
- Vetting galleries you want to work with
- Establish trust with your gallery
- Cutting ties with galleries without burning bridges
- Galleries vs. art fairs
- Re-Branding and ending previous works
- Feature Length Films
- Keep an eye out for Radiating Echoes – What is Beautiful?
- Determining what is really important in your life’s work?
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Getting to Emerging Artist Status and Beyond—Bonnie Clearwater - January 11, 2019
- We’ve Built a Learning Community for Artist-Entrepreneurs - December 15, 2018
- CHF Announces 16 Artist Fellows 2019 Art-Business Accelerator - December 12, 2018
- Leverage Your Non-Art Expertise for a Career Blueprint—Kristin LeVier - December 4, 2018
- Break Down Your Business Goals into Actionable Steps - December 3, 2018
- The Thriving Artist™ Podcast is a Portable Business Education - November 24, 2018
- The CHF “Road Show”: Coming to a City Near You - November 15, 2018
- CHF Announces Art-Business Conference in the Washington DC Metro Area - November 13, 2018
- Getting Art Into Hotels and Corporate Spaces—Rachel Berg - November 7, 2018
- CHF Announces Its Art-Business Conference in Fort Lauderdale - October 26, 2018