Elaine Grogan Luttrull is a CPA and founder of Minerva Financial Arts, a company that increases business and financial literacy for artists and arts organizations. She also runs the Business & Entrepreneurship department at Columbus College of Art and Design in Ohio. In this episode of the Thriving Artist Podcast, Elaine provides insights on the types of financial decisions that directly impact the purity of one’s art! Topics include:
- The big financial questions (budgeting, pricing, taxes…)
- Tax issues artists face
- How do artists choose an entity type?
- Impacts of entity types (for taxes, health care types, creditworthiness)
- Overcoming the emotional barrier of art vs. business concerns
- The “Starving Artist” stereotype
- How financial literacy impacts artistic purity
- What financial decisions say about an artist
- Pricing of art: intrinsic value vs. commodity
- Financial literacy as a path to more money
If you’re a working artist, feel free to visit our Grants page. If you’re an arts industry professional, collector, or business specialist, or a working artist who would like to be interviewed, visit our Teach and Learn page. As always, even a modest donation is meaningful; and that page is here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Office Hours for Artist Entrepreneurs - September 18, 2018
- eBay and The Ingredients of a Successful Artrepreneur - September 13, 2018
- Generate Powerful Publicity: A Sistine Chapel Mindset – Todd Scalise - August 16, 2018
- How Your Brand Story Translates to Sales - August 13, 2018
- Business Accelerator Application Announced - August 9, 2018
- Dallas-Fort Worth Art Business Summit Announced - June 19, 2018
- “Mightier Marketing for Visual Artists” Presentation at Artexpo New York - April 14, 2018
- “Artist as Entrepreneur: Becoming the CEO of Your Life” Panel at stARTup Art Fair - January 12, 2018
- Second Annual Art Business Summit Announced - December 14, 2017
- Year Two of Business-Development Forum for Professional Visual Artists - November 28, 2017