Jim Grace is an attorney for the arts, and Executive Director of the Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston. One of their major programs is Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Mass., which does free legal services for the arts including seminars on legal topics. Jim is also co-author of the Joan Mitchell Foundation‘s workbook on estate planning for artists. In this episode of the Thriving Artist Podcast, Jim provides insights for art collectors and artists on estate planning. It’s OK to suffer for our art, but we don’t want it to make others suffer. Some of the topics we must consider include:
- The importance of estate planning for visual artists
- Healthcare proxies, living wills, and powers of attorney
- Goals, options, and tools – not letting the tail wag the dog
- Options for supporting causes
- Artist endowed foundations
- What happens to your collection?
- Valuation of your art, including unfinished works in your inventory, formal appraisal, and tax consequences
- What happens to your unfinished work?
- What about your collection of fellow artists’ work?
- Representation (agents, galleries, and dealers)
- Document archives (image licenses, releases, gallery consignment contracts)
- ARTWORK ARCHIVE (tracking inventory, cataloging collections)
- Planning for maintenance, storage, conservation, and distribution of works & supplies
- Getting approval from donee organizations
- Rights and joint authorship / collaborators
- Copyright is your life + 70 years
- Legal services for artists via local arts and business councils
- Collaborative space for organizations and artists
- Hitchcockian bird attacks
Listen now, or download and take this 47-minute episode with you on your phone or mobile device.
If you’re a working artist, feel free to visit our Grants page. If you’re an arts industry professional, collector, or business specialist, or a working artist who would like to be interviewed, visit our Teach and Learn page. As always, even a modest donation is meaningful; and that page is here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- How Creative Entrepreneurs Build Investment Capital – Alice Loy - April 17, 2018
- Do Art Fairs Pay Off? An Interview With stARTup Founder Ray Beldner - March 25, 2018
- Artist As Entrepreneur: Becoming the CEO of Your Life - March 22, 2018
- This Youtube Needs You–You Might Need It Too - March 3, 2018
- Art-Business Education on Every Platform–Reaching Any Artist - March 3, 2018
- How to Grow Your Customer Base and Increase Sales – Steve Pruneau - February 19, 2018
- Engage New Sales Avenues to Increase Art Income – Aaron Laux - February 4, 2018
- Identify Product-Market Fit for Entrepreneurial Success – Arree Chung - January 20, 2018
- The Philanthropic Investor, Philanthropic ROI, and a New Renaissance - January 14, 2018
- Thriving Artist Podcast Hits 30K Downloads, Available on Alexa - February 7, 2018