P.A. Nisbet (pronounced “nesbit”) is a painter of outdoor landscapes, based in Santa Fe, and this year he’s a panelist at the Western Art Society’s Quest for the West. Before his career in fine art, he was a commercial artists (illustration and graphic design). He’s quoted as saying “no artist is going to survive without being a business person.” In this episode of The Thriving Artist Podcast, he answers questions about the fundamental tension between being effective as an artist and effectiveness of growing and marketing a body of salable work. Topics include:
- Knowing your audience
- Business best practices
- Commercial viability vs. imitating commercial success
- The tension between art as creation and art as business (distinct but inseparable)
- Artistic clarity – intrinsic personal vision as a component of commercial visibility
- Collaborating effectively with galleries
- Doing your own marketing vs. relying on galleries
- Quantity of artists & its effect on gallery collaboration
- Quantity of work & its effect on gallery collaboration
- Market awareness and production values: sizes, price points, speed of production
- Holding your own with galleries: filling orders v.s. producing art
- How to price your art: competitive pricing and transparent pricing
- Market awareness and competition for gallery space
- The working artist as social artist: the value of going to parties
- Quest for the West
This 35-minute episode is a treasure trove of critical insights for creating and managing a career as an artist. In particular, the focus on working with galleries and exploration of how to price your work are gold!
Listen now, or download and take it with you on your phone or mobile device. P.A. Nisbet may be reached at panisbet.com
If you’re a working artist, feel free to visit our Grants page. If you’re an arts industry professional, collector, or business specialist, or a working artist who would like to be interviewed, visit our Teach and Learn page. As always, even a modest donation is meaningful; and that page is here.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Infiltrate the Business World in the Name of Art—Noah Scalin - August 16, 2019
- Transparency is Transforming the Art Market—CHF Interviews Bill Fine - August 13, 2019
- CHF Announces Virginia Art-Business Conference - July 10, 2019
- CHF Announces Its 3rd Annual Art-Business Conference in Santa Fe - June 27, 2019
- CHF Presents A Thriving Art Exchange Virtual Town Hall - March 21, 2019
- Artists Are Solving Atomic-Level Problems—Cyndi Conn - July 11, 2019
- Classical Skills for Modern Art Careers: The Case for Training and Tradition—Mandy Theis - June 14, 2019
- What the Heck Happens at These Things? - June 10, 2019
- Fearlessly Take On The Big Daddy Ugly Goal—Willy Bo Richardson - May 29, 2019
- Sales Conversations: Don’t Fix Everything - May 16, 2019