‘Color within the lines and you get pigeonholed; cross media and genres, and they don’t know where to put you.’ As a painter, illustrator, and storyteller, Cheryl Gross combines her signature humor and urban appeal to create intense narratives. Currently, she is working on a large project titled: The Z Factor, a fictional work of drawings and text depicting the persecution of a new race and a resulting third civil rights movement. She is also 2014 Clark Hulings Fund Grant Finalist. What are the challenges when a fine artist wants to cross illustration, graphic design, film, poetry, blogging, and the graphic novel, all in a way that takes on current issues.
- Blending fine arts and commercial arts
- Parsing an art career as a way to make a living: “Sometimes you just need money”
- Mitigating genre bias by breaking barriers between types of media
- Crossing media from visual art, to the graphic novel, blogging, and film
- The catch-22 of crossing genres and not having a pigeonhole to hide in
- Being “Dr. Seuss on crack”!
- Using the online art markets
- Pricing commissioned work
Cheryl’s insights on the fundamental struggle of refusing to be pigeonholed while seizing a place in the market are a valuable addition to the learning program of CHF. More info on Cheryl Gross and her work, as well as her blog and book are at CMgross.com
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Office Hours for Artist Entrepreneurs - September 18, 2018
- eBay and The Ingredients of a Successful Artrepreneur - September 13, 2018
- Generate Powerful Publicity: A Sistine Chapel Mindset – Todd Scalise - August 16, 2018
- How Your Brand Story Translates to Sales - August 13, 2018
- Business Accelerator Application Announced - August 9, 2018
- Dallas-Fort Worth Art Business Summit Announced - June 19, 2018
- “Mightier Marketing for Visual Artists” Presentation at Artexpo New York - April 14, 2018
- “Artist as Entrepreneur: Becoming the CEO of Your Life” Panel at stARTup Art Fair - January 12, 2018
- Second Annual Art Business Summit Announced - December 14, 2017
- Year Two of Business-Development Forum for Professional Visual Artists - November 28, 2017