Working artists can be both student and teacher; this is the basic premise of Art Cantina, an online portal described as the Match.com of arts education. For Carolyn (Charlie) Bogusz and LaVonne Ewing, artists need a platform to market and brand their skills as potentially both experts and instructors. Meanwhile, students want easier access to arts education. Art Cantina allows students to find workshops in their local area and desired discipline, and helps them establish (if they wish) a teaching business to support their studio practice. Topics include:
- Marketing your own classes & finding students
- Why the art world needs its own Airbnb or Match.com
- Pricing your work and pricing your classes
- From selling expertise to selling art online
Disruption, Connections, and Silos
- The “starving artist” stigma and alternative income sources
- The stigma of online art markets
Continuing Arts Education
- The working artist as student
- Art schools vs. informal arts education
- Learning and marketing vs. creating and studio time
- Knowledge sharing amongst professionals & the elevation of artwork through study
Art Cantina is a natural partnership for the Clark Hulings Fund: We equip artists to up their business game through education, introductions, tools, and critical project funding, but there is no business without a well-crafted product. For more information on how you can hone your craft and build your business through skills-based workshops, check out ArtCantina.com.
- Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes or Stitcher, or visit our Podcast Courses page. You’ll gain direct access to incredibly valuable insights and information from artists, collectors, and art-industry experts.
- Express your thanks with a gift to the Clark Hulings Fund, and help artists grow self-sustaining businesses that contribute to our economy and fill our world with art.
- Sign up (it takes less than a minute) for periodic updates on our courses and content.
- Write a review of the podcast on iTunes or Stitcher, letting others know why it’s valuable.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Getting to Emerging Artist Status and Beyond—Bonnie Clearwater - January 11, 2019
- We’ve Built a Learning Community for Artist-Entrepreneurs - December 15, 2018
- CHF Announces 16 Artist Fellows 2019 Art-Business Accelerator - December 12, 2018
- Leverage Your Non-Art Expertise for a Career Blueprint—Kristin LeVier - December 4, 2018
- Break Down Your Business Goals into Actionable Steps - December 3, 2018
- The Thriving Artist™ Podcast is a Portable Business Education - November 24, 2018
- The CHF “Road Show”: Coming to a City Near You - November 15, 2018
- CHF Announces Art-Business Conference in the Washington DC Metro Area - November 13, 2018
- Getting Art Into Hotels and Corporate Spaces—Rachel Berg - November 7, 2018
- CHF Announces Its Art-Business Conference in Fort Lauderdale - October 26, 2018