At CHF, we often say that artists transform our communities. What do we mean by that?
Artists bring beauty to our world, call our attention to the issues of the day, and use their creativity to inspire us and get us to think, but they do a heck of a lot more than that. Their work has enormous tangible impact.
Here’s a Story That Proves Our Point
As Hurricane Florence barreled into the southeastern United States last month, all of us at CHF were concerned about artist Donna Lee Nyzio, one of our Accelerator Fellows who lives on the North Carolina coast. Thankfully, Donna and her loved ones made it safely through the storm, and her paintings survived as well, stored on higher ground before Florence hit. A week after the hurricane had passed, we received this message from her:
“I hire out my framing and photography work to maximize my time and capitalize on the skills of others so that I have more time to paint. Today, I brought paintings to my framer to get them ready for an upcoming show in Atlanta. When they saw all the work they needed to do for me, they shed tears of joy. Because of the storm, I represent most of their income for September. My business means that they’ll earn their rent and some additional income right when they need it most. It’s really nice to know that my work as an artist can support others, as well as myself.”
Artists Mean Business
Artists hire others, like Donna’s framer, to provide services and goods. They draw art lovers to their neighborhoods, where these visitors spend money—at restaurants, bars, cafés, and other local establishments. All of that spending creates jobs, spurs new economic development, and attracts customers and businesses who want to be where the artists are. Rinse and repeat.
We ALL benefit when artists thrive, but for that to happen, artists need business expertise and training. The entrepreneurial education that CHF provides through our Digital Learning Portal and Art-Business Accelerator makes it possible for artists like Donna to grow their businesses and weather the challenges that might otherwise derail them. We arm them with essential knowledge and a skill set that keeps them on track—powering their communities forward to a brighter economic future.
Artists already work hard. You can help them work smart by supporting CHF below.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Goodacre-Hulings Bas-Relief—Benefitting CHF—Featured in the American Masters Show - October 8, 2018
- Come Hear CHF Leaders Speak on the Business of Art This November in Miami - October 4, 2018
- Artists Boost the GDP and Drive Economic Growth - October 8, 2018
- CHF Continues to Boost Accelerator Fellows Through Our First Group Show - August 27, 2018
- Transform Your Art Career at Our Upcoming Florida and Metro DC Seminars - October 18, 2018
- First-Ever Group Art Show Featuring CHF’s Fellows—Works Available Online - August 21, 2018
- Our Accelerator Call Has Ended, But Our Digital Learning Portal Awaits You - June 27, 2018
- CHF Highlighted in Forbes for Our Agile Approach to Projects - July 12, 2018
- Jodi Bee - June 13, 2017
- Kristin LeVier - June 8, 2017