What if an artist treated her project like a project, her business like a business, and became the CEO? Vanessa Diaz is an interdisciplinary artist specializing in sculpture and site-specific installations created from discarded furniture. She reimagines architectural pieces to distort conventional perceptions of how rooms and physical spaces should be used. She is also a 2015 CHF Business Accelerator Grant Recipient. The Clark Hulings Fund is funding and supporting her work “Possibility of an Exit” – an immersive installation that re-contextualizes a house impacted by natural disaster in the upper half of a 5,000 sq. ft. room provided by ArtsUP!
Neil Ramsay the head of ArtsUp! says the artist is the “CEO of the project” – specifically that the artist – in this case, Vanessa – is coming in and designing the whole environment. We found that idea so intriguing that we devoted almost the entire show to it. Topics include:
- Scaling an artist’s business at the pivotal career moment.
- What does it mean to be the CEO of an art project?
- The path to being a self-sustaining artist.
- The bottom line business impact of an art project.
- Creative control as the CEO.
- Collaboration as the CEO.
- Collaboration and branding.
- Installation art in particular.
Finding This Valuable?
Bring more with a gift of any amount. Even small ones help.
- Leverage Your Non-Art Expertise for a Career Blueprint—Kristin LeVier - December 4, 2018
- Break Down Your Business Goals into Actionable Steps - December 3, 2018
- The Thriving Artist™ Podcast is a Portable Business Education - November 24, 2018
- The CHF “Road Show”: Coming to a City Near You - November 15, 2018
- CHF Announces Art-Business Conference in the Washington DC Metro Area - November 13, 2018
- Getting Art Into Hotels and Corporate Spaces—Rachel Berg - November 7, 2018
- CHF Announces Its Art-Business Conference in Fort Lauderdale - October 26, 2018
- CHF Brings Artist Empowerment to Figurative Art Convention & Expo - October 31, 2018
- “Helping to Push” at the 10th Annual American Masters Show - October 10, 2018
- Office Hours for Artist Entrepreneurs - September 18, 2018