Guidelines for our Business Accelerator Grants
Sign up to receive email reminders with instructions and information about how to apply for our Business Accelerator Grants in September 2016.
The Clark Hulings Fund Business Accelerator Grants are awarded to those applicants who present the strongest proposals for business-related activities. Examples of supported activities include but are not limited to:
- Mounting or casting pieces for an exhibition or private collection
- Purchasing art supplies to complete a project
- Marketing and promotional activities
- Transportation of the artist and/or the artwork
- Individual grants up to $5,000 each
- A total of $10,000 in grants per year
- Applications accepted every September
- Ten finalists–including recipients–announced each November
Who Should Apply?
Professional painters, sculptors, and artists working on paper who:
- Employ traditional media, NOT including photography, film, or video
- Have had their work published and/or exhibited professionally
- Are pursuing specific opportunities or projects for which financial support from the fund would make a substantial difference in their business prospects
- Are United States citizens or permanent residents
- Have not previously been awarded a grant from the Clark Hulings Fund
Activities That Are Not Supported Include:
- Commissioning fees or direct payments to artists
- Institutional overhead expenses, if partnering with an organization
- Expenses that are not connected specifically to the project, including general administrative expenses, living expenses, or competition or contest application fees
- Tuition, artistic residency expenses, or professional development fees
The fund does not support performance, literary, or commercial work.
- Artist Statement
- Request for support, including a detailed proposal and images of the project, if available
- Examples of previous work
- Itemized budget
- Supporting materials, if relevant (e.g., letter of intent from a gallery, commission statement, referrals, references, etc.).
The fund partners with CallforEntry.org (CaFÉ) to manage the grant application process. Applicants must register with CaFÉ to view and complete the our Business Accelerator Grant application.
Successful applications are reviewed by a panel of judges, which is composed of visual artists representing a broad spectrum of work. A member of the fund’s advisory board moderates the panel.
Grant recipients and finalists will receive an agreement explaining the fund’s terms and conditions, including the financial documentation and narrative reporting requirements for recipients. All reporting requirements must be completed before the grant will be fully paid. Recipients and finalists must consent to be interviewed on our podcast, conduct an interview themselves with an art-world leader, and supply images of their artwork and of themselves for use in the fund’s promotional materials, according to the parameters stated in the letter of acceptance. Recipients are required to acknowledge the fund’s support in the manner described in the agreement letter.